The goal of this post is to help establish some key questions to ask up front to ensure that joiners to our start-up are a good fit.
We have limited financial resources so need to use other incentives like restricted stock agreements, options, sweat equity etc… to ensure joiners are adequately motivated and rewarded. We have identified the core roles we would like to develop and have identified strong candidates. Now we need to make a decision, agree terms and move on.
I’ve had a myriad of advice, most of it has been contradictory, but a few common questions seem to keep popping up. Here is an initial list;
- What resources and unique abilities are you able to offer? (i.e. tech, sales, leadership…)
- What level of commitment can you offer and for how long?
- What are your hopes and dreams for joining a start-up? (money, freedom, success…)
- How would you like your success/effort to be measured and rewarded?
- What is your ideal ‘Exit Strategy’. Do you want to sell your stake or grow the company long term?
- What level of control over the direction of the company do you want?
I’d be very interested to hear what you think. All advice and comments welcome.